non compartmentalized

the title pretty much says it all; rather than having blogs for art, music, photography, yard work, garden work, home, travel, etc. AS I HAVE DONE & ALREADY DO HAVE, this will be virtually "life as i live it"... day by day... non compartmentalized

Sunday, April 29, 2012

DOWNTOWN MONROE- DELTA FEST- 4.28.2012


i had every intention of leaving the house early and going to the civic center/delta fest and chilling/visiting/w folks before my set with the NELA ALL STARS; but as we all know, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. i realized, after stressing to get drag & cds together, that i was out of my morning thyroid medicine- and, not wanting to stroke out onstage, called wally world in wm and asked them to refill. being saturday they broke for lunch at 1.30-2.30 and this was about the time i was ready to leave the house- so i dressed in my show duds, like an idiot [didnt want to carry excess stuff & change there] and drove to wm. i managed to get there around 3 and for once, everything was ready. shock and awe. [that almost stroked me out!]

going in and out i realized that it was a bit warm for me to be outside in all black suit & shirt etc. i had some other chores to do, errands to run, all of them "drive through"- so decided to do them while out, from my car, in which i had the AC on stun! i realized i had plenty of time before 'check in' and was NOT going to be outside any more than i had to be. 

i decided to drive around old downtown, snapping photos with my phone, from the car, as is my wont; my "drive by shooting" method/series. when the weather heats up, i just roll down the window and shoot, even if i have to make the block, or go in opposite directions- rather than get OUT! 

DESPITE THE FACT that i have shot so much of the stuff over and over with various cameras, for 100 years, i always find something new, or a new perspective.there are so many pockets of stuff here that are incredible; right before our eyes, that we totally don't see. i think before i start my "Louisiana photo safari" i might start right here; in my own home town. 


some shots of the old down town cemetery & remaining down town:
i have always wanted this building since i was a child!
old cotton warehouse
old cotton warehouse

some shots & blurbs from Delta Fest:
YVETTE JETER- CAPTURING EVERYTHING FOR POSTERITY
BRUCE GAY- BASS
 MAURICE JOHNSON- SAXOPHONIST SUPREME
 ADRIAN GRIFFIN GAY- PURE GOSPEL & SOUL DYNAMITE



i didn't shoot my usual 1000 photos at the fest- because i didn't get there until about an hour before my "slot" with the NELA ALLSTARS- and as it was rather 'warm', i went directly to the air conditioned comfort of the jack howard theatre lobby which was 'the green room', so to speak.  nice big comfy leather chairs and AC- and stayed inside [except to walk out and smoke] until my "po-shun uh duh progrun" [as pearlie mae would say] came around.
i did go out & watch Kenny Bill 's 'po-shun' and he sho nuff kicked it with the NELA ALLSTARS; as did Danny Lee, then Adrian, whom i joined onstage, on piano, before i did my po-shun...the band rocked!













KENNY BILL STINSON, DANNY LEE WITHERINGTON, BRUCE GAY, MAURICE JOHNSON, & BROTHER DAVE REEVES


  Doyle discussing the quality & cost of the fabric.... 

As this April 30, 2012 marks the 200th Anniversay of Louisiana's statehood, i kept most of the repertoire in my set to Louisiana music; with a little bit of delta blues thrown in, since it WAS the Heritage stage, and Delta fest... all of which applies. 


If i turned my head & craned my neck, i could see the hospital where i was born- St. Francis- on the Ouachita River [the north American 'cradle of civilization'] so I definitely felt my delta roots & heritage


Thanks to everyone who made it all possible; and to all the incredible NELA musicians who too often get overlooked & passed over in lieu of musicians from the southern and northwestern regions of the state. Our time is coming! OCCUPY NELA! Happy Birthday, Louisiana!
[C] 2012 DOUG DUFFEY